RE: TLD Background subtraction

The task does require some type of statistical software to ease the
calculation burden.  We use Statgraphics, but I am not soliciting its use
and I believe any similar program will do.

The basic steps we follow are to:
1.	Evaluate the stop and start dates for the dosimeters to determine an
appropriate use range and exclude outliers.
2.	Normalize the electronic channel data by dividing by the number of
days in the field (we have four chips in our dosimeter).
2.	Use a box and whisker plot to evaluate each dosimeter channel data
at the 95% confidence level and exclude outliers.
3.	Fit the remaining data with an appropriate distribution (we use the
lognormal, but you must determine based on your site).
4.	Adjust the fit iteratively to obtain the highest K-S
(Kolmogorov-Smirnov) statistic possible.  (We use this test because it is
not dependent on how the data is subdivided, as is the case with the
chi-square test).
5.	Obtain the average of the lognormal fit and add it to our historical
plot.
6.	Perform a linear regression of historical data.
7.	Determine the new background subtraction values for each dosimeter
channel based on the linear regression.

Our background evaluation method has not been published anywhere outside our
laboratories to my knowledge.  However, I would be happy to provide you and
any other interested parties with a copy of our technical basis document
that describes the method in detail and gives examples.  If you'd like this
information, please contact me offline at swwalke@sandia.gov.

Scottie Walker, CHP
External Dosimetry
Sandia National Laboratories