Re[4]: Liquid waste tank decommissioning!

     Maybe sand would work.

     jim.dunlap@guardian.brooks.af.mil

Subject: RE: Re[2]: Liquid waste tank decommissioning!
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at guardian
Date:    2/3/99 3:06 PM

This probably wouldn't be feasible for an underground tank.  The grout
gives it a density comparable to soil, but with the urethane foam, the
tank would 'float' up out of the ground over time.  Even the grout is no
guarantee that this won't happen - ask any farmer whose field 'grows'
rocks.  It's a function of the freeze-thaw cycle and the physical
properties of loose mixed aggregates (the same ones which bring the
Brazil nuts to the top of the can in shipping).

Dave Neil
neildm@id.doe.gov

_________________________________
> Subject: RE: Liquid waste tank decommissioning!
> Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at guardian
> Date:    2/3/99 1:03 PM
>

> Another option that was used at ORNL was grouting in place. The tank
was
> just filled with a low-density grout mixture and all aboveground
> penetrations were cut off to below ground, then the tank was filled
over. If
> you don't HAVE to remove the tank, it's another option.
>
> DJ Richards
> Hazards Assessment & Y2k Emergency Preparedness Lead
> Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
> David.Richards@rfets.gov
> djrichards@earthlink.net

transport/disposal