RE: Transport Index

Hi All:

Here's the full definition of the Transport index (TI):  means the
demensionless number (rounded up to the next tenth) placed on the
label of a package to designate the degree of control to be exercised
by the carrier during transportation.  The transportation index is
determined as follows: (49 CFR 173.403 - definitions)
	(1)  For nonfissile material packages, the number determined by
multiplying the maximum radiation level in milliSievert(s) per hour
at one meter (3.3  feet) from the external surface of the package by
100 (equivalent to the maximum radiation level in millirem per hour
at one meter (3.3 feet)); or
	(2)  For fissile material packages, the number determined by
multiplying the maximum radiation level in milliSievert per hour at
one meter (3.3 feet) from any external surface of the package by 100
(equivalent to the maximum radiation level in millirem per hour at
one meter (3.3 feet) or, for criticality control purposes, the number
obtained by dividing 50 by the allowable number of packages which may
be transported together, whichever number is larger

 As I understand it the NRC uses a RO-2 for measurements - with no
mention of the type of radiation.

Hope this helps the discussion.

Thanks,