RE: Excess Absolute Risk (EAR)

Mike,

I haven't seen the WHO report, but I can fax you a few pages from NCRP
80 if you like.  The NCRP does present the annual number of 2.5 per Gy
per year.  In their report, however, the NCRP multiplies this risk by
something called "years at risk."  In this context, "years at risk" is
not related to the exposure scenario but rather to the committed risk as
a function of time following a single exposure.  It's a combination of
the latency period for thyroid cancer and the expected lifespan of the
individual, age of the individual at exposure, etc., etc.  So it's more
a way to account for differences in committed risk if a person is
exposed later in life rather than sooner (since people later in life are
not generally as likely to live for 40 or 50 years following exposure).

What was intended by the WHO with a statement of "if this risk persists
unchanged..." is not entirely clear to me.  The risk is what it is and
is set when the dose is received.  Maybe the WHO was trying to be
delicate instead of saying "if the exposed population lives for 40 years
after the exposure."

Best regards,

Philip
Philip C. Fulmer, PhD, CHP