Re: Uranium blamed for Gulf War Syndrome (BBC)

Has anyone measured internal deposition of uranium in persons with
the Gulf War Syndrome purportedly caused by depleted uranium?

Tom

> Date:          Thu, 04 Feb 1999 10:54:39 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Sandy Perle <sandyfl@earthlink.net>
> Subject:       Uranium blamed for Gulf War Syndrome  (BBC)
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

> Tuesday, February 2, 1999 Published at 23:00 GMT - BBC
>
> Uranium blamed for Gulf War Syndrome
>
> Exploding missiles tipped with uranium exposed servicemen to the
> toxic metal
>
> Sixteen British Gulf War veterans say they have proof they are
> suffering from radiation poisoning, caused by materials in the
> weapons used by the Allies.
>
> The men believe this could be a factor in Gulf War Syndrome, the
> condition which thousands of soldiers say they developed after
> serving in the region.
>
> In Iraq, doctors also say children have been deformed by the same
> radiation.
>
> Shaun Rusling served in the Gulf War and today, he takes a dozen
> different drugs to treat a catalogue of illnesses, from chronic fatigue
> and post-traumatic stress disorder to problems with the nervous
> system and depression.
>
> Doctors have diagnosed him as suffering from Gulf War Syndrome.
>
> The Ministry of Defence says the syndrome as such does not
> exist, so Mr Rusling and two of his fellow Gulf veterans, Mike
> Kirkby and Mike Burrows, have been desperately seeking reasons
> for the illnesses since their return from the war zone.
>
> They say independent tests carried out in Canada revealing they
> and 13 other veterans have uranium radiation poisoning may at last
> provide some answers.
>
> Mr Rusling says: "Basically we have just been diagnosed with a
> bone disease...that is where depleted uranium finishes - in your
> bones.
>
> "I'm saddened by our treatment by the Ministry of Defence because
> we went out to do our job.
>
> "I treated Iraqi casualties with more care and compassion than this
> government has treated me," he adds.
>
> Mr Rusling believes it was while serving with a field hospital unit
> that he was exposed to depleted uranium in dust form.
>
> A by-product of weapons grade uranium, which in most forms is
> perfectly safe to handle, depleted uranium was used by British and
> American forces on the tips of missiles to devastating effect.
>
> Controversially, the veterans say they ingested tiny particles of the
> toxic metal after the missiles burned up in the atmosphere.
>
> Mr Kirkby says: "They were blowing locations up and we were
> driving through bodies and blown -up tanks. You were breathing all
> the smoke and the dust off the sand."
>
> In Iraq, there is no shortage of tragic stories about families whose
> children have a wide range of birth deformities.
>
> Professor Selma Al-Tah, a paediatrician in Baghdad, believes her
> studies demonstrate a link with depleted uranium and the many
> terrible genetic defects.
>
> "A lot of cases are really monsters. Some of them have no necks,
> [...]
Tom Mohaupt, MS, CHP
Wright State University
Radiation Safety Officer

Voice:  (937) 775-2169
Fax:  (937) 775-3301
E-mail:  tom.mohaupt@wright.edu
Address:  104 Health Sciences Bldg, Wright State University
          Dayton, OH 45435