Re: Nasal Radium Irradiation [NRI] Posts [Johns Hopkins] - APOLOGY

In a message dated 2/5/99 11:41:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mph516@biomed.abdn.ac.uk writes:

<< Mr Farber

 You have criticised HPs for the posts regarding the thesis and for not paying
 attention to the earlier posts. This is unfair and rather jumping to
 conclusions. I think the problems here are these damn network servers that we
 all rely on. I know that I definitely did not receive any of your earlier
 postings as was therefore as lost as the other respondents. Just because
 people haven't seen earlier posts doesn't necessarliy mean they've ignored
 them!

 yours

 Fergus I McKiddie PhD >>

Dear Dr. McKiddie:

By no means did I ever intend to broadly criticize all HPs on radsafe for not
reading earlier post. If this is the impression you got, please accept my
sincere apology.

I believe it important to get information on the Nasal Radium Irradiation
[NRI]  issue  out to the wide radiation protection community linked to
radsafe, [and note that what Johns Hopkins has done or not done is but one
part of this issue -we still have the DOD, Navy, CDC, Interagency Working
Group on Human Radiation Experiments, etc.]. If I had not considered a
rational dialogue with the radsafe community important, I would never have
taken the time to initially post the link to the Boston Globe article on NRI
[See: Nasal Radium Irradiation History and Health Risks -
<A HREF="http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/1-31/featurestory1.shtml/";>Click
here: Boston.com / Boston Globe Magazine</A>  ], and tried to address the
public posts on the issue.

Unfortunately, from my perspective a few of the posts questioning or
criticizing my posts seemed to be repetitive, and at times focused on what I
saw as minor or peripheral points. However, I tried to address the issues and
some have felt it was taking too much space on the board. However, the NRI
issue is unusual and it has far reaching implications both for research, and
public policy on dealing with radiation risks.

I also must also apologize for letting my frustration come through earlier
today in a post responding to Mr. Holloway's most recent post. I had responded
to him in a private posts three or four days ago, but public posts kept
appearing, which I felt obligated to answer. I will not let this happen again.

My goal is to keep the discussion of the NRI issue to the issues and not
confuse board readers with distractions.

Thanks for your professional interest in the radiation protection aspects of
the NRI issue which may affect the health of about 1,000,000 Americans treated
as children.

Regards,

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Director - Radium Experiment Assessment Project [REAP]
Consulting Scientist
Public Health Sciences
19 Stuart St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860