Secondary personnel monitoring, I-125 & P-32

I have been asked to provide assistance regarding secondary
monitoring for I-125 and P-32, to be used as an estimate of the
DDE, LDE and SDE, when the primary dosimeter can not be read,
or the dose used, due to a contaminated dosimeter. The individual
currently performs a dose reconstruction, which often is a very
conservative estimate of the dose. I  would like any
recommendations Radsafer's may have regarding what may be a
viable secondary monitoring capability.

(1) I have informed the individual that I am not aware of a secondary
device that will monitor the spectrum of interest, i.e., I-125 and P-
32 effectively.

(2) A typical PIC will not measure the low energy x-ray from the I-
125. I mentioned that it is even difficult to perform an extremely
accurate assessment of I-125 using a film or TLD, even though
each dosimeter is NVLAP accredited in NIST Beam Code M30,
which is an average 20 keV x-ray. The PIC will not effectively
measure the P-32 beta either. While there may be some
measurement of the Deep Dose component, there is no way to
measure the Shallow Dose component.

(3) An Electronic Dosimeter is also not an effective dosimeter as
well,, for some of the same reasons above. The dosimeter can
measure the low energy x-ray, if appropriately calibrated, but can
not effectively measure the Shallow Dose component. I was
fortunate to be able to discuss this with 3 manufacturers of
electronic dosimeters, while at the International AL:ARA
Symposium last week. Each of the 3 told me that they could
measure portions of what I asked about, but not effectively to meet
all fo the requirements as stated.

(4) I told the individual that the key element was to minimize the
contamination that is the Root Cause, which will allow all of the
TLDs to be processed and used for dose of record.

(5) In the event there is still contamination, and dosimeters can not
be read, that a more realistic dose reconstruction process be
implemented. If the method is viable, and accurate, the need for a
secondary dosimeter is reduced.

(6) Cost effectiveness is another issue. The facility badges
hundreds of individuals, and I stated that it would not be prudent to
provide costly secondary dosimeters if they are unable to provide
accurate DDE. LDE and SDE determinations.

In summary, based on the above synopsis of the issues, I would be
appreciative of any suggestions that I can pass on to this
individual. Perhaps there is something else they can implement
and meet their monitoring requirements.

Thanks to all for any assistance...

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net