Re: Wearing Radium-Dial Watches - Hazards?

	At about age 15 a neighbor gave me a radium dial watch.  I wore it
continuously 24 hr @ day (exception: not to get it wet) until about age
28, when I noticed a skin growth, discolored, oval, about 6 mm X 5 mm,
about 0.5 mm raised, just under the point where I wore the watch.  It
remained unchanged for a number of years (about 20) and began to
disappear, until now (age 61) there is only a very, very slight
discoloration and no raised surface.  I never had a doctor examine it;
from photos in skin disorder texts it never appeared to be malignant.  I
attributed it to the radiation levels from the watch.  Readings on
contact indicated about 15,000 dpm.  And of course no documentation.

from Bob Scott
Roger Williams Medical Center
Providence, RI
bobscottchp@juno.com