Re: Scare tactics

In a message dated 2/9/1999 6:12:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
aduchem@wantree.com.au writes:

<< Absolutely 100% right. But there is enormous difficulty in convincing
 people that the tailings problem is NOT uranium. Certainly if U is detected
 in the drinkign water it must have come from another source, and not the
 tailings. >>

You may be right, but I am not so sure.  What extraction mechanism is 100%
effective in removing all the uranium?  I would think that there would be some
uranium in the tailings as well as the other members of the decay chain.  The
thing that should be emphasized is that there is uranium in all natural
waters.  In the case of  Lake Mead, which is fed by the Colorado River,  I
have done the uranium analysis for that and it is fairly normal.  I think it
is 1 or 2 pCi per liter.  The uranium content of  water used by Las Vegas and
other downstream locations is well within normal limits.

      holloway3@aol.com