Re[2]: www fallout (radiation, AIDS etc)

     Before I begin, let me state that I am undecided on the scientific
     merits of hormesis or a threshold.  But, I think it would be easier to
     convince me of a threshold, but even here I don't know if a single
     threshold would apply to all stochastic effects of radiation.

     Al Tschaeche wrote:

          But, to require absolute proof of hormesis or other beneficial
          effect before we can get rid of the LNTH is also irrational and
          irresponsible.  We should put the shoe on the other foot and
          require absolute proof of damage at low doses, based on
          acceptable whole human data before we are willing to spend
          limited resources to reduce <doses to very low levels.

     Here, he calls into question the rationality and resposibility of
     those who disagrees with him.  This approach is not scientific and at
     best alienating to those he wishes to educate.  Furthermore, the
     decision to spend limited resources is made by the public through
     their representatives - at least in theory.  If the representatives
     make the wrong/questionable decision, then more education is required.

          Our statement should be: "There is a safe level of radiation at
          (here pick a value - I vote for 5 rem per year) rem (or Sv).  One
          might also add: " below which deleterious effects on humans have
          not been unequivocally demonstrated" if one wanted, but I always
          stop at the end of the first phrase.  There really is a safe
          level of low dose.  One must only think, "safe with respect to
          what else that can damage me, not absolutely safe."  There is
          nothing that is completely and absolutely safe, except God's
          love, and even that might at times seem  not to be safe.

     And further along in his post, Al states,

          Actually, all we need to say is: "Doses below X (5) rem per year
          are safe."

          I must disagree with Al on his implicit definition of what safe
          means. According to the Webster Dictionary on line the 6
          defintions of the adjective safe are:

     1 : free from harm or risk : UNHURT
     2 a : secure from threat of danger, harm, or loss b : successful at
     getting to a base in baseball without being put out
     3 : affording safety or security from danger, risk, or difficulty
     4 obsolete, of mental or moral faculties : HEALTHY, SOUND
     5 a : not threatening danger : HARMLESS b : unlikely to produce
     controversy or contradiction
     6 a : not likely to take risks : CAUTIOUS b : TRUSTWORTHY, RELIABLE.

     This agrees well with what I have learned when talking to people like
     my non-HP friends and parents.  To most people safe means "without
     harm".  It is an absolute statement.

     I agree with the second part of Al's statement," below which
     deleterious effects on humans have not been unequivocally
     demonstrated" - the part he usually omits. It is up to the public and
     their representativew to determine what an *acceptable* or working
     definition of safe is.  The setting of public policy, by definition,
     is not purely a scientific question.  The responsiblity of the
     scientific community is to present the best available evidence and
     conclusions and to advise those making policy decisions.  If the
     conclusions reached by the public are erroneous, if is incumbent upon
     the scientific community to continue to try to educate them.

          I have read Art Upton's NCRP 6.1 committee draft report and am
          not unequivocally convinced low doses are truly harmful from the
          "evidence" provided in that report. There still is too much
          guesswork, hypothesizing and extrapolation to permit really
          knowing that low doses are really harmful.

     Does this mean that you, yourself, are unsure of the effects, if any,
     of low level radiation?  That is the inference I draw from this
     statement.  If there are doubts about the effects (bad, none, or good)
     of low level radiation, then who makes the policy decisions?

     In the light of scientific uncertainty, and the knowledge that heap
     conservative assumption upon conservative assumption can, in some
     (many?) cases, actually wind up causing more harm than good, the
     question is "What should the public health policy be?" A corollary of
     this would be, "Who should make that policy?"

     Being the cautious person that I am, I am willing to let the research
     continue and wait for more data.  However, I think that the concept of
     de minimis - whether a Below Regulatory Concern or a Negligible
     Individual Risk - should be persued with full vigor.  I think that
     these concepts have a much better chance of being accepted (despite
     their rejection so far) by the public someday.

     All in all I still reserve the right to be wrong, nor do I represent
     the views of my employer.

     Jerry Falo
     jer3ry@aol.com