Re: Fwd:New York Times - Red Meat Irradiation Rules

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 elizabeth_algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com wrote:

> Would anyone care to comment on this statement?
>
> Elizabeth Algutifan
> Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com

	This argument could be used against any medicine. Does that mean
we shouldn't use medicine? It could be used against chlorination of
drinking water and every other drinking water treatment. Radiaion kills
microorganisms at least  as well as chlorination. This argument  could be
used against any disease control measure. Does that mean we shouldn't try
to prevent diseases? Food irradiation can save many thousands of lives per
year in U.S. and avert tens of millions of cases of sickness. Isn't that a
worthy goal.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh