Any Hull -- comment on Re: DOE Letter on HFBR Environmental Impact Statement

Andy Hull, thanks for distribution of the DOE letter on HFBR Environmental
Impact Statement (see below), it's good to know about status of this matter.
However, my instant reaction, seeing that the letter was addressed "Dear
Stakeholder," was .. oh no!  here we go again.  That word "stakeholder" was
used several times.  I would really like to encourage you and all others in
our profession to try to persuade people not to use this (I think
inappropriate but certainly poorly chosen) term.  My dictionary (probably
out of date?) defines stakeholder as being "a person entrusted with the
stakes of bettors."  Now, I know we introduce new terms to the English
language every day, some of which are useful (actually facilitate
communication) and get to be widely adopted.  But this word should go!
During my time at IAEA, I had to try to explain the meaning of this term to
non-native-English-speaking persons on many occasions.  The reaction was
usually humorous (maybe due to my less than good explanation?), but it is
widely perceived to be an arcane term outside of clubby U.S. circles.  Sorry
to take up so much space on this issue, it just seems so inappropriate to
use this term at all, let alone repeatedly, repeatedly, ...  Regards, Don
Clark

Donald E. Clark
Senior Consultant
donclark@gte.net

P.S.  Clearly, these views are my own.  I like to substitute term such as
"affected parties" or "affected persons," etc.  I think that the language we
use does matter.  (Another pet peeve I have is with overuse of
abbreviations/initialisms/"acronyms" -- whoops, I have used them myself!)
Does anyone else agree with me?

<<<<<<<<<