Radiation Protection Dosimetry - A Radical Reappraisal

Below is the complete text.. I had the word "from" in one line..
sorry about that!

The above subject is the title of a new book published just last
week. I was fortunate to buy a copy during the recent Southern
California Chapter - HPS Meeting, at which time
Dr. John Cameron conducted a workshop, and, gave the after
dinner presentation. The book is quite interesting, and I believe
would be a great addition to anyone's reference library. It
addresses many issues and I've provided a synopsis below.

Radiation Protection Dosimetry
A Radical Reappraisal
Jack A. Simmons and David E. Watt
1999/ 160 PAGES SOFTCOVER $35.95
Medical Physics Publishing 800/442-5778;
www.medicalphysics.org or mpp@medicalphysics.org

This is the first major effort to present an alter-native approach to
current radiation protection dosimetry. The authors analyze the
defects and limitations of the present radiation protection paradigm,
recording the history of its evolution, primarily the roles of the
International Commission for Radiological Protection (ICRP) and
the International Commission on Radiation Units and Measure-
ments (ICRU), and documenting scientific lapses. A detailed
description of the various radiobiological models to describe health
effects of radiation is also presented. The authors' proposed model
for radiation protection dosimetry is based primarily en radiation
fluence rather than radiation dose. The model excludes the linear,
no-threshold (LNT) model of radiation risk and suggests a threshold
of 0.2 Sv for low linear energy transfer (LET) radiation and a much
higher threshold for high LET radiation, such as from radium and
plutonium.

Contents
…	Introduction-A Historical Precedent in Astronomy
…	A Brief Early History of Radiation Units and Radiation
            Protection
…	The 1990 Recommendations of the ICRP and Their
            Consequences
…	Simulation of Models of Biophysical Effectiveness
…	Radiation as a Probe for the Physical Investigation of
            Radiosensitive Structure in Biological Targets
…	Model of Radiation Bioeffectivcness and Its Application in a
            Fluence-based System
…	Conclusions

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net