RE: New York Times - Red Meat Irradiation Rules

Brian Gaulke
02/15/99 10:34 AM

Don Kosloff wrote:

   Throwing away a lot of food is certainly the best way I can think of to
   improve everybody's life.
   I certainly wouldn't want to make a profit myself.  Whenever I look for
   job I always work for the emplyer that charges me the most to work for
   them, that way I'm always a better person because I've lost the maximum
   possible amount of money.  I have heard that some really bad people
   actually require their employers to pay them but I have a hard time
   understanding such an evil concept.  Of course the problem in paying
   your
   employer to work for them is that in order for them to be good employers
   they have to be wasteful and inefficient so that they don't make a
   profit.
To Don and the several other people who replied in a similar (though
perhaps somewhat less sarcastic) vein:

I didn't include a value judgement in my post on the profit motive.  An
earlier post in the thread suggested we look at the motives of those
interested in promoting food irradiation.  I simply made a suggestion as to
what one important motive might be.  I leave it to others to draw
conclusions.

Strictly my personal opinions.

Brian R. Gaulke
Head, Dosimetry Section