Re: HVL of Lu-177

Brian Gaulke
02/16/99 05:14 PM

I did a sensitivity analysis using MicroShield v4.0.  I used 10 mm Pb as my
reference point and calculated 20 points from 1 mm to 20 mm inclusive..

The results can be fit reasonably well by a HVL of 0.846 mm Pb from 1
through 6 mm (r^2 = 0.997), and a HVL of 1.816 mm Pb from 10 through 20 mm
(r^2 = 0.9998).  The errors in calculated exposure rates are less than 10%
for the smaller thicknesses, and less than 4% for the greater thicknesses.
The maximum error in the intervening range (between 6 and 10 mm Pb), using
whichever equation gives the best result, is about 30% at 7 mm Pb.

This indicates that Les was basically correct (there isn't a single
constant HVL), but the results are simpler than you might expect given the
complexity of the spectrum.

Brian R. Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau