Re: HP as a career & qualifications

Hi Ron:

As you offered, I am responding to your private note to me, in the
public forum. I do so because I agree with your sentiments,
although it is my opinion that they are a stretch of the topic
somewhat.

Your points are well taken, and I can't argue them to any degree. I
will only add that for one to practice medicine, that they MUST hold
a medical degree, and secondly, pass the certification
requirements in the state in which they wish to practice. The same
can be said for attorneys as well. Unless there is a specific
requirement by a facility, there is no statewide, or national
requirement for someone who professes to be a health physicist,
that they also have a degree, and, hold a certification. The issue I
was addressing is the notion that an individual not be considered
"qualified" if they don't hold a degree or a certification. I just can't
accept that.

As always, each position much be looked at on a case by case
basis. To rule an individual as "unqualified" solely based on
possession of a degree, or a certification, is just plain wrong, and
should not be tolerated. Obviously if an individual has experience,
and a degree with a certification.. terrific. That is what I meant by
the phrase, they are a "nicety". There are other considerations
besides the paperwork credentials. What about ability to
communicate effectively, both verbally and in written form. The
ability to think on their feet. The willingness to take reasonable
risks. I'd rather have an individual who may make a mistake (not
critical) compared to an individual who takes forever to make just
one good decision, and missed a dozen other opportunities. What
about being a team player. My point is, there are many factors in
considering an individual as qualified. To place the term solely on
degrees and certifications, well, just not acceptable.

As far as my first introductory remarks .. they were not meant to
be offensive or insulting to anyone. I was solely referring to the
comment how others deem an individual to be "unqualified" (can't
remember who wrote that) but that was my point. In other words,,
the decision makers make the decisions..and if they deem
someone unqualified .. so be it..

As always, I appreciate your thoughts, and the time you take to
provide them in a concise manner.

Regards.....

Sandy

Ron Kathren's letter sent privately:

Sandy --

I rather take exception to your comments about degrees and
certification being a 'nicety'.  While there are many well qualified
noncertified HP's, some of whom are nondegreed, degrees and
certifications are important indicators, but by no means the only
indicators, of qualifications.   I pose to you the following question:
when you select a neurosurgeon, cardiovascular surgeon, or
environmental or structural engineer, do you do so on basis of
years of experience exclusively, or do you look at such things as
board certifications for the physicians, or an ABET approved
engineering degree and P.E. license for the engineers or do you
just consider who has the most experience?  Experience is only
one indicator, and may not be a good one inasmuch as the person
doing the job may have had a 'cookbook' to follow or a mentor
close at hand, or even a more knowledgeable colleague or
subordinate.

Just curious, you understand.  When I select a physician of any
kind, ( or an attorney, engineer or a health physicist, for that
matter) board certifications are indeed important.  If only
experience counted, no inexperienced person would ever get a job!

Get my point?

Maybe you want to rethink your comments, especially your first
two introductory remarks, which some may find offensive and
insulting.  Indeed, one could counter by saying that those who do
not hold certification and carp about those that do are simply
expressing 'sour grapes' since typically they either failed the test or
chose not to sit for it.

Ron

PS  Feel free to share the above with RadSafe if you choose; I
thought it more appropriate to send these remarks directly and only
to you.

RK

 04:32 PM 2/16/99 -0600, Sandy Perle wrote:
> I'm just against being told I'm no good at my job
> without it, excuse me, that I'm "unqualified".
>
>As the old saying goes .. "He who holds the gun makes the
rules"..