Re: scrap metal facility limits

In a message dated 2/17/99 1:53:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, raldrich@emi.com
writes:

<< Typical settings for entrance monitors at scrap metal facilities are as
 close to background as possible.
 There are no regulatory requirements for these facilities to have monitors,
 therefore there is no basis for agencies to provide guidance. Since the
 facilities install them for their own purposes, only they can determine
 what settings will meet those purposes. >>

There is a basis if the regulatory agency is required to respond the
alarms...In California, we did provide guidance to landfills on this issue
because we too were having to expend a lot of resources responding to alarms
for diapers and kleenex contaminated with very low levels of iodine.  The
guidance has cut down considerably on the number of calls we received.  If the
landfills are permitted by a state or local agency, the rad health agency may
be able to work with them to develop something that will satisfy everyone.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick