Why CHP?

There has been a lot of recent discussion of the role of certification
in our profession on radsafe.  Here are some musings I recently received on
the subject of Certification by the ABHP by a trusted (but bashful) colleague.

"I think a lot of people do not really understand the point of the
certification process.  ...To many people, certification as an HP means
passing a test, pure and simple.  This is the same logic that says lets
be lenient on entrance qualifications for the exam, as the test is what's
important.   ... The board understands that the tests
are just part of the entire certification process that requires formal
education, peer recommendations, practical experience, and yes, passing
of examinations.  However, the examinations are difficult enough that
only rare individuals can hope to pass the exams without extensive
study.'

"...Certification is not about passing exams, that is just the validation.
The real value of certification is ...the effort that candidates put forth
learning about
their field.  It is true that well-prepared candidates have a better
chance to pass the examination, but they will also be more well-rounded
and technically-grounded in their field, and thus deserve to hold the
title of CHP.'

"The value is not the title; it's what you have to do to get there.  It's
not the exam; its the preparation that dedicated candidates will perform
in order to be ready.  That is what certification is all about."

The greatest value of becoming (or trying to become) certified lies in the
journey.

Nancy P. Kirner, CHP
Chair, ABHP