Re: NEutron QF

Sunil C Nair wrote:

> In the energy range 2MeV to 20MeV, (where the QF is less than the 100KeV
> to 2MeV range) N(n,p), H(n,gamma) and elastic collisions with Hydrogen
> still dominate the contribution to the dose. Thus we are essentially
> dealing with the same protons (either recoil or reaction product) with
> more energy, and gamma photons. Now, QF depends on the LET of the
> secondary particles that deposit energy in the tissue. Does the LET
> changes so drastically in such short span of energy?

> If  as absorption cross section does come down, as suggested by Scott
> Schwan and  Neal Zapp, how  is the dose per neutron an increasing function
> all the way ? I have found tables and figures in literature to show that
> dose increase as neutron energy.  (1). Accelerator Health Physics,
> Patterson & Thomas, page 70, fig 2.12.  (2). is "A guide to radiation and
> radioactivity levels near high energy particle accelerators by A.H.
> Sullivan, page 27, Fig 1.17).

I misplaced my Sullivan book, but referring to the Patterson & Thomas, that
refers to dose equivalent, not dose.  I provide below a table that gives dose,
dose equivalent, and QF from a bit older source, ICRP-21.  ICRP-60 roughly
doubles the Wr and broadens the energy categories.  I hope this also helps.
Please note that this table will line up only using a fixed width font.

            ICRP-21  ICRP-21
Energy      Flux to  Flux to dose
Max(MeV)    dose     equivalent    QF
4.14000E-07 5.26E-10 1.15E-09      2.2