Re: licensing in medical institution

Malek, you are describing 2 kinds of use:  Human use and non-human use.  In
the US, the NRC licenses all uses of by-product material. Human uses are
covered in 10 CFR part 35, while non-human uses, like research, animal, in
vitro, bench type chemistry etc are covered in any number of sections in 10
CFR.  Generally in the US the RSC oversees all uses, whether it be human or
otherwise.  However, only physicians can use material in humans, and the
level of education, training and experience is significantly higher than for
other uses.  Most hospitals in this country only have medical use licenses,
while some large bio-medical research institutions have both a medical use
and research (non-human uses) license.  Lastly, some pure research
institutions have all but a medical license.  We have a term for all
covering research institution licenses, it is call "broad scope", it too can
be found in 10 CFR.  Hope this helps.

-Mark Rotman
Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacist

At 06:56 AM 3/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>We, at the American University of Beirut, are about to begin licensing
>users of radioactive materials for research purposes.  Our institution
>consists of a university and a medical center.  I was hopping that someone
>might assist me with the following questions.  What is the work practice in
>the states concerning the licensing of personnel who uses radioactive
>materials at a medical center? Is it similar to the University settings,
>i.e. does everyone who possess or uses radioactive material above the
>exempt levels need to be licensed from the Radiation Safety Committee.  For
>example, will the nuclear medicine department in a hospital need to be
>licensed by the RSC to possess and use radioactive materials?  Where do the
>NRC stands concerning this matter?
>
>Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Malek Chatila, Ph.D. candidate