Emergency exposure limits

I have recently reviewed our procedure for emergency exposures since it is
in revision and would like to hear from other places what their guidelines
are for an acceptable maximum dose (or dose rate) for a rescuer to be
exposed to? Assuming of course that they are volunteers and trained...

What kind of authorization is needed to get a high dose in order to do a
rescue?  Any delay in a very high dose field can take someone who may have
non-life threatening injuries (ie, broken legs) and subject them to a
lethal dose.

Also, I would like to hear any thoughts on what kind of dose you would
allow someone to get in order to rescue someone who has most likely already
received a lethal dose.   Do you treat this like a body recovery?  My own
thoughts would be to conduct a rescue as if they are a viable patient even
though they probably won't survive.

I realize of course that many other factors will influence the decision to
make any rescue but would like to stick just with the radiological ones.

If I get a good number of responses I will put together a summary and post it.

| | | |__  Safety Support Officer, Physics & Space Technolgy
| | \___/  Lawrence Livermore National Labs
| \___/    merritt9@llnl.gov
\___/      Voice: (925)423-9668   Fax: (925)422-7160
	   "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
	   every problem begins to resemble a nail."
	   -Abraham Maslow