Advertising - the final :-) word

I would like to point out that discussion of topics related to list
administration are off-topic.  If you have an opinion on the subject of
advertising on RADSAFE, or other matters related to list administration,
please send them privately to me at the address in my .signature below.
However, to clarify the issue a bit...

The ban on advertising in RADSAFE primarily stems NOT from the wishes of
the subscribership, but from the fact that the machine on which RADSAFE
runs utilizes the network resources of the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign.  The University has certain policies regarding use of
its networking infrastructure for commercial purposes.  Each and every
commercial use of RADSAFE potentially endangers my ability to provide
you this service.  Therefore, there is no easier way to get oneself on
permanent ban from RADSAFE than to post an overtly commercial message to
the list.

Of course, advertising also exists in people's .signatures as well as in
other less obvious ways, such as in responses to requests posted to the
list.  I choose to overlook certain forms of advertisement simply
because I think that they are defensible in case I ever get "called on
the carpet" by the University for them.  The types of "allowable"
advertising can, unfortunately, be somewhat subjective.

I only "get away" with spending work time on RADSAFE because University
policy states that part of a salaried professional's duties are to
support outside professional endeavors and engage in public service.  In
my term as RADSAFE list-owner/manager, I've been contacted by another
organization's legal department in regards to possible litigation and
have had my job indirectly threatened.  I'd really like to stay out of
further trouble if I can possibly help it. :-)

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding!

Melissa Woo
RADSAFE List-owner/manager

--
Melissa Woo, Health Physicist <mailto:m-woo@uiuc.edu>