Re: Food Irradiation Labeling

I have no problem with labeling food as to the type of processing it has
undergone.

When the product says "Fully Cooked", I feel somewhat assured it is safe to
eat, however, I usually cook it myself anyway.

I remember back on the farm, as a child, the bacon we cured was preserved
unrefrigerated for months.  Try that with the bacon you get from the local
grocer.  The mold appears quickly.

Irradiated food should bear a label stating "Sterilized by Irradiation" or
more simply "Irradiated".  Any attempt to require any sort of symbol on the
label is probably a tactic of the Fear Mongers to frighten a misinformed
public.  I'd feel safer with the "irradiated" food than the so called "fully
cooked", but I'd still cook (recook) it.

Tom
hulltmsr@aol.com