RE: European regulation of NORM as an minor component of other materi

Dear Richard,

I spent some time studying NORM legislation (Europe including) and I reckon
that currently regulations in different countries is different.  All EU
Member Countries, however, will be regulating radiation sources (NORM
included) in accordance with the Euratom Directive 96/29, which will come
into force on 13 May 2000.
The limits in the Directive are the same as in the IAEA Basic Safety
Standards - 'a regulatory authority' must have a look on every substance
which contains more than 1 Bq/g of either 'Th(nat)' or 'U(nat)'.  These
elements are the most common for NORM.

To the best of my knowledge, the current regulations applicable  for NORM in
The Netherlands are as follows:
PROCESSING:
100 Bq/g of the mother-nuclide in secular equilibrium with the daughters. If
one of the daughters is enriched that number must be added.
WASTE DISPOSAL:
1. Natural solids: 500 Bq/g;
2. Into the air: 50 mBq/m3 for alpha-emitters,  5 Bq/m3 for beta/gamma
emitters;
3. Into the water: 50 Bq/l for thorium, 500 Bq/l for uranium, 0.5 Bq/l for
other alpha-emitters, 10 Bq/l for other beta/gamma-emitters, and: 10 kBq or
500 kBq per four successive weeks.

The information above was kindly provided to me by Mr Boudewijn Klerk
<boudewijn.klerk@tip.nl> from The Netherlands about a year ago.
Please have a look on my 'World Radiation Links' web site - Netherlands page
- you may be able to find some links to the information you require.
The address is <http://www.westnet.net.au/Walkabout/>.  I also would like to
invite you to the web site <http://www.tenr.com.br>  - International
Symposium on the Technical Enhancement of Natural Radioactivity in Rio in
September, regulations and legislation will be one of the most important
subjects.

Kind regards

Nick Tsurikov
Eneabba, Western Australia