Source Expiration Dates

Greetings:

At the Harris Nuclear Plant we have approximately a dozen calibration
sources (electroplated, mylar-covered, button, and solid matrix) that
have expiration dates on them. Most of these dates passed long ago and,
as long as the source strength has been adequate, we have continued to
use the source. The following questions have arisen:

What exactly does the expiration date mean? (There is some indication
that it refers to the integrity of the source encapsulation.)

Can sources be used past this date? Why or why not? (ANSI standards,
etc.)

If sources are used past this date, are there any precautions needed,
such as leak checks?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ben

ben.morgan@cplc.com