RE: Radiation damage to immune system?

At 13:36 11.03.1999 -0600, you wrote:

In Connecticut (USA), a thyroid
>cancer increase of a much smaller magnitude occurred in 1990-93, 4-7
>years after the Chernobyl accident, for both children and adults.
>Similar changes also occurred in the states of Iowa and Utah,
>which like Connecticut were exposed to low levels of radionuclides from
>Chernobyl fallout during May and June of 1986. Historical data from
>Connecticut also reveal substantial increases in thyroid
>cancer incidence about 5 years after large releases of iodine-131 from
>distant US nuclear weapons plants, after the largest atmospheric US
>atomic weapons tests in Nevada, and after substantial releases
>of iodine-131 from the Millstone nuclear power plant in Connecticut.
>Further analysis of this apparent 5-year latency period will enhance
>understanding of ionizing radiation's effects on thyroid function
>and on human health in general.

Bjoern,

Thank you for this excellent additional example of violation of fundamental
logics:

There is no scientific doubt that the number of thyroid cancers did rise in
children in affected parts of Ukraine and Bjelorussia.

We have measured within the Austrian Surveillance System values for aerosol
attached I-131 of up to 1.5 nCi/m3, for total I-131 it was up to 2.7
nCi/m3. Our highest recorded value for I-131 in precipitation was 7 974
nCi/m2. I bet that nowhere in the USA more than a very small fraction of
these values has been found.

So if it were true that I-131 from Chernobyl fallout would have caused a
significant rise in thyroid cancer in Utah, Iowa and Connecticut (nowhere
else?), then a really dramatic increase would have to be found in Austria
and other Western European countries. But not the "greenest" greens have
claimed it.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria