request for information

This message is directed to collegues outside the USA, because thanks to
contacts with US RADSAFERs I have already received relevant information
about the situation in the USA!

Dear collegues,

I cooperate with a group of institutes on a project for removal of natural
radionuclides from drinking water. One of my tasks is to summarize the
existing regulations for natural radionuclides in drinking water and for
disposal of natural radionuclide wastes which may originate from treatment
methods. I pose below a number of questions and I would be happy to receive
answers, even if it would be only concerning a few points. I would also be
happy to receive names (and e-mail addresses) of persons of whom you know
that they are able to answer my questions and web sites which may contain
relevant information.

Please inform me also, in case no regulations exist in your country,
because this also would be valuable information.

I appreciate your cooperation.

Does your country have regulations or a proposal for regulations concerning
natural radionuclides in drinking water?

If "yes", please answer the following questions:

Do your regulations know enforcable limits or "indicative parameters" or
recommendations only?

Are these "limits" valid only for water works or also for private wells?

Please describe the values in force.

Are these regulations also applied for bottled mineral water?

Is drinking water regularily controlled for radioactivity?

If "yes": By what methods?

What is the frequency of sampling?

Do your regulations know a limit for Rn-222 in drinking water?

If "yes": What are the values? Do these regulations apply to water at the
source or at the tap?

Are the regulations for uranium based on activity concentration or on
microgramm/l?

Do you know of any equipment or method to remove natural radionuclides in
operation in your country, both in water works or in private households? Is
it commercially available?

If "yes", can you give details or a contact?

How is waste from these operations treated and/or disposed of?

Are in your country regulations concerning natural radionuclide waste in
force?

If yes, please give details.

For countries within the European Union:

Will the values concerning the "indicator parameter" radioactivity of
Directive 98/83/EG annex I, part C be implemented in national law without
any changes?

Are there intentions to set "limits" for Rn-222 and/or uranium separately?

Thank you for the time you spent to answer my questions!

Franz Schoenhofer

Private:
Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
AUSTRIA
Tel. and Fax: +43-1-495 53 08
mobil phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
AUSTRIA
phone: +43-1-40 490 - 27820