Patient Excreta to the sewer

The NRC recognized that disposal of this type of waste to the sanitary
sewer is the preferred method of disposal because of other health
implications of handling and disposal of it as radioactive waste, of
which I completely agree (see Federal Register Volume 56, No. 56,
p.23381).  The radiation dose to members of the public is practically
nonexistent, because of the short half-life of most radionuclides used
in medicine, compared to the other health hazards to the radiation
workers that would have to handle the excreta.

>According to 20.2003 (b) of 10CFR20, "excreta from individuals
>undergoing medical diagnosis or therapy with radioactive material >are
not subject to the limitations contained in paragraph (a) of >this
section".
>Could someone please inform me of the technical bases of 20.2003 (b)
>?(bases or any reasons that the statement above mentioned was >included
into 10CFR20)