RE: patient excreta

          I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that a hold-up tank
          could be viewed as ALARA.  First, what is the exposure population
          now? I would say no dose to anyone.

          As for a hold-up tank, you would have to locate it in a area
          without any people...  Can't find much of that space at this
          hospital.

          What about the biosafety concerns with held-up sewage, not to
          mention the odors.  and when it is in need of service...  Well
          let's just say it will not be me who crawls in that confined
          space.  This could be a real source of exposure (to many things)as
          well.

          I heard many a horror stories about lab sink hold-up tanks at NIH.
          I can't imagine such a thing for raw sewage.

          Regards from the northern hemisphere where the sewage goes
          counter-clockwise.

          William A. Lorenzen
          Children's Hospital
          Boston, MA 02115