Re: Blood Irradiation for GVHD

I doubt very strongly that you have _any_ surviving lymphocytes after a
dose of 30 Gy (based on my own experimental work and also other
informations) - a dose of 30 Gy should produce the order of 1500 DNA
double-strand breaks (DSBs) per cell. In addition to the large number of
DSBs, lymphocytes are more sensitive to ionizing radiation than for
instance solid tissue cells. For red blood cells which have no DNA, I
would guess it is possible that they could remain functionally from an
oxygen transfer point of view. Their membranes may become "shaky" after
30 Gy but I wouldn't be surprised if they still make it. I would welcome
other experiences or opinions.

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com