From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
[mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]On Behalf Of John Moulder
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 1999 12:18 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: mobile phones and brain cancer

> I have been questioned on the danger of electromagnetic radiation from
> an emitter for mobile phones. I have read information that in Canada
> and Australia, epidemiological studies would have shown that
> such micro-wawes would result in an increase in brain cancer.

I follow this area fairly carefully, and I am not aware of any new (or old)
studies from Canada or Australia that indicate an association of RF exposure
and brain cancer.

Epidemiology studies that I do know of (RF and brain cancer) are:

Hill, 1988: no elevation in brain cancer risk in radar workers

Lilienfeld et al, 1978:  no brain cancer as a result of MW exposure at the
US
Embassy in Moscow

Milham, 1988:  Statistically-insignificant increase in brain cancer in
amateur
radio operators

Tynes et al, 1992:  Less brain than expected in people with occupational
exposure to RF

Szmigielski, 1991:  Significant increase in brain cancer in Polish military
personnel exposed to RF

Grayson et al, 1996: Statistically-insignificant increase in brain cancer
Air
Force personnel with RF exposure

Dolk et al, 1997:  No excess brain cancer around TV/FM antennas in the UK

The animal studies are also uniformly negative regarding RF and brain
cancer.

For details and refs see:
http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop/cell-phone-health-FAQ/toc.html

This will also be coming out in peer-reviewed form in Rad Res in a month or
so.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)