Guideline values for activity in Foodstuffs

Jim & Radsafe:

You querried:  Can anyone provide me with or point me to a list of guideline
values for
consumption of mushrooms containing Cs-137?

The World Health Organization / Food and Agriculture Organization Codex
Alimentarius Commission established a guildeline level of 1000 Bq/kg for cesium
contamination in foods moving in international trade (Health Physics, 57:1048,
1989).

A method for optimization is described in ICRP Publication 63 Principles for
Intervention for Protection of the Public in a Radiological Emergency, (Annals
of the ICRP, 22:4; 1991.  Annex B). The Annex used beef as an example to
calculate an optimized level of 8000 Bq/kg for Cs-137 in beef to correspond to
an annual dose of a few mSv for moderate beef consumption.

I'd be very interested in hearing any other sources of such numbers.  I'm also
interested in the levels observed in the mushrooms.

Personal aside:  How's life at CSU?

	Gene Carbaugh, CHP
	Internal Dosimetry
	Pacific Northwest National Laboratory