Re: Sr-90 Source Activity/Geometry

Two factors you have to consider are: (1) the Y-90 activity, which would be
in
secular equilibrium, and (2) the backscatter factor.  The vendor should be
able to help.  Usually, both the absolute Sr-90 activity and the 2 pi beta
emission rate are supplied in the calibration documentation.  The value to
use
for calibration depends on the counter being calibrated and the expected
samples.  If the samples will be on a backing similar to that of the
calibration source, no correction would be needed for backscatter.  If the
samples are different from the calibration source, however - eg., the cal
source is on a metal disk, but the samples will be on filter paper, then you
must account for the difference in backscatter factors.  Here, knowing the 2
pi emission rate would be helpful.

The opinions expresed are strictly mine.
It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com