RE: Disposal of lead apron

Doug,
Bill is right. If you decide to dispose of the aprons, you have a RCRA waste. May I ask why are you disposing of them? Do they no longer serve the intended purpose of shielding (anywhere, for anybody)? The reason for my question is that as long as the item can still serve its intended purpose (and that you manage it so that it won't be released to the environment) it's does not have to be a waste.
If you do decide to get rid of them, you may want to investigate recycling.

<<<"Where ignorance is bliss ..." - You might want to sign your name, "Paradise
lost in Milwaukee." You are the proud new owner of some RCRA hazardous
waste.
Welcome to 40 CFR! I would guess that your institution generates other
hazardous waste, and has someone who handles this. Find him. Among other
things, you may have started a 90 day clock on the time you can store this
without being required to obtain a "Treatment, Storage, and Disposal
Facility"
permit (Don't go there.). EPA fines are generally assessed on a per day of
violation basis. Now that I am making you aware of this, any violations
could
be construed as willful, subjecting you to criminal penalties. Have a nice
day.
It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com
You wrote:
Radlisters:
This chump has been stumped (again). Here's a non-radiation question
peripherally involving medical health physicists.
I was asked today if there are any regulations on the disposal of "lead"
protective aprons of the type routinely used in medical x-ray departments.
These aprons may contain Pb, Sn, Ba, and who-knows-what other heavy metals
that you presumably don't want in an incinerator. What about a landfill?
Ignorant in Milwaukee,
Doug
Douglas J. Simpkin, Ph.D., DABR
St. Luke's Medical Center