Re: I-129&127

At 07:50 30.03.99 -0600, you wrote:
>1 - Can anyone guide me to a reference for "chemical technique" for
>quantitative and qualitative determination of Iodine-129 and Iodine-127?
>
>2 - What is the range of the background level of these two isotopes?
One of the best (i.e. can detect smallest number of atoms) methods for
I-129 which is used n dating and environmental studies is accelarator mass
spectrometry (AMS).
With a good system at accelerating potentials of 1o MeV and multi-charged
ions ratios of I-129 to I-127 of 10-15 (1E-15) or less can be measured.
Gerald
Dr Gerald Laurence
University Radiation Safety Officer
University of Adelaide and Flinders University of SA

PO BOX 351
BURNSIDE   South Australia  5066
e-mail   aduchem@wantree.com.au
Phone  (61) 8 8379 6839