Re: Can anyone help ?

Jones, Pauline wrote:

> I am the recipient of a "gift" from an unknown source. Someone left a
> Cs-137 source in a storage area at our university. I've contacted our
> Canadian regulator with the details but they do not have it listed as
> a source authorized for sale or use in Canada.
>
> The source is an industrial gauge. The manufacturer is SV Philips
> Sweden. The source is Cs-137 - 65 millicuries, assayed  March 1970.
> I've done a web search but can't find this company. Can anyone help ?
> I'd like to be able to trace the source so that the "giver of the
> gift" can take it back and they pay for the disposal rather than our
> university.
>
> Clearly there was a breach of security for this to happen. This has
> been rectified, so should never happen again.
>
> I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
> Pauline Jones
> Radiation Safety Office
> Dalhousie University
> 1391 Seymour Street
> Halifax, Nova Scotia
> Canada, B3H 3M6
> pjones@kilcom1.ucis.dal.ca

If you know the model number and/or the serial number of the source,
you  might be able to identify the manufacture of the sealed source
which might help track it's history. Knowing the serial number also
might help locate the owner by tracking it through leak test vendor's
data bases.
They might know who leak tested it, and when.

Charles Gallagher
gammat@swbell.net