RE: Information on Contamination at Wright-Patterson AFB

The way I seem to remember it from a seminar class in college...

A jewler had a significant amount of Am-241 and needed to dispose of it.  It
may have been given to someone that worked in the medical establishment on
base.  The material was covertly and improperly stored on the base.

Some workers were in a building accessing drums without appropriate RP
coverage.  I do not believe the drum had adequate written warnings on it
either.  The workers found themselves to be contaminated after accessing the
drums.  Not sure if where they detected the contamination, if it was in that
building or at another facility.

They proceeded to a local campground and showered/deconned themselves.  This
also happened to be a campground commonly used for the Boy Scouts.  I
believe a new cast acutally mentioned things like "contamination,
intentional, Boy Scouts".  Imagine how that would sound.

The building was deconned and removed.

Sincerely,
Glen Vickers
glen.vickers@ucm.com