basis for source material exemption

I hope some of you history buffs can help me with this.

I'm having a DISCUSSION regarding the 0.05 percent by weight exemption
for source material.  My opponent argues that the exemption limit is based
on national security issues and therefore is not protective of human
health and safety; that there was no health and safety considerations
given in determining this exemption or regulatory level.  I believe this to be
incomplete and potentially misleading.

I say that when this limit was established back in the 40's, the
concentrations of U that were considered unsafe were comparatively
much higher than what may be considered acceptable today, and
knowing this, the regulators based the 0.05 percent by weight exemption
for source material on what was considered to be economically
unfeasable for recovery.

I'd appreciate any insights, comments, and most of all references!

Thanks.

Will McCabe
wmccabe@tnrcc.state.tx.us

Any opinions expressed in this message are solely my own and do not
necessarily reflect the opinion or policy of the TNRCC.