Re: Medical examination for a radiation worker

> What is the source of this definition?  10 CFR 19.3 states that, "Worker
> means
> an individual engaged in activities licensed by the Commission and
> controlled
> by a licensee..."  10 CFR 20.1003 states that, "Occupational dose means the
> dose received by an individual in the course of employment in which the
> individual's assigned duties involve exposure to radiation or to radioactive=
>
> material from licensed and unlicensed sources of radiation, whether in the
> possession of the licensee or other person..."  Neither of these sets a dose=
>
> threshold.

> What is the source of this definition?  10 CFR 19.3 states that,
"Worker
> means
> an individual engaged in activities licensed by the Commission
and
> controlled
> by a licensee..."  10 CFR 20.1003 states that, "Occupational
dose means the
> dose received by an individual in the course of employment in
which the
> individual's assigned duties involve exposure to radiation or to
radioactive=

> material from licensed and unlicensed sources of radiation,
whether in the
> possession of the licensee or other person..."  Neither of these
sets a dose=

> threshold.

Bill,

While I don't have the particular document readily availabale, the
definition of a "radiation worker" was changed based on the
dose to be received, and not the fact that they worked with
radioactive material, or, were exposed to radiation. This occured in
1996 I believe. I will now have to search...  I know that this was
addessed here on Radsafe, and the dose threshold was 100 mrem
in the year. This is different than defining "worker" and occupational
dose".

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205