RE: Medical examination for a radiation worker

Its also a little interesting to note how the 100 mrem value got put into
the regulations.  This threshold value was never made available in the
notice of proposed rulemaking.  Instead it was developed as a result of
comments received in the advanced notice.  I don't believe any of the
Agreement States saw (or heard) of the NRC's intention to insert this value
into the regulations.  At that same time, the NRC determined that states who
left the old language in place "All individuals working in or frequenting
any portion of a restricted area:  shall..."  were compatible as they were
allowed to be more restrictive in their wording.

I believe that if one went with strict interpretation of the regulation the
vast majority of personnel at most licensed sites would not have to receive
any training under 10 CFR 19. At the same time I can't believe that would be
in the best interest of any radiation safety program.

Daren Perrero
dmperrero@email.msn.com
I'm with the government, I'm here to help you....