Radiochemical Purity Testing

Dear Radsafers,

I am hopping that you would provide me information concerning the
importance of conducting radiochemical purity tests for Tc-99m labeled
agents prepared from kits.  As I know, the NRC does not regulate this
aspect of the Tc-99m generators since they do not consider it to be related
to radiation safety.  All of the references that I have seen states that
Tc-99m labeled agents prepared from kits may not be of sufficient
radiochemical purity and must be tested since unbound Tc pertechnetate and
hydrolyzed reduced Tc may accumulate in unintended organ systems.

1. From practical experience, how important is it to conduct these tests?
2. Is there any regulations that specifies that purity tests must be
conducted on Tc-99m labeled agents?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Malek Chatila