RE: X-Ray Dosimetry for Children

The University of Florida has a pediatric research group whose overall goal
is to determine, by theoretical calculation and  by experimental
measurement, the absorbed dose to organs in phantoms representing newborn,
one-year-old, five-year-old, ten-year-old, and fifteen-year-old children for
a variety of diagnostic procedures.

The experimental measurements applied a new methodology utilizing a
prototype anthropomorphic phantom developed at UF incorporating direct
reading MOSFET dosimetry, which allowed the the determination of absorbed
dose to individual organs; the application of current radiation and tissue
weighting factors were utilized to determine an effective dose and risk from
each exam studied.  This research is coordinated by Dr. David Hintenlang of
the Nuclear and Radiological Engineering Department.

The calculational work employs the EGS4 Monte Carlo radiation transport code
with the Cristy and Eckerman MIRD mathematical phantoms for infants and
children that have been revised and updated by Dr. Wes Bolch and Dr. Lionel
Bouchet, also of the Nuclear and Radiological Engineering Department.

I initiated this research based upon the most common plain film procedures
performed for one-year-olds at Shands Children's Hospital at the University
of Florida.  We hope to have results published soon.  Drs. Bolch and
Hintenlang have since expanded the research to include fluoro, CT and
cardiac cath procedures for additional age groups; results for some of these
areas will be presented at the HPS meeting in Philadelphia.

If anyone has more detailed questions, they can reply directly to any of us.