Chernobyl Faces Millennium Bug Problem

Friday April 23 11:55 AM ET

Chernobyl Faces Millennium Bug Problem

KIEV (Reuters) - The Chernobyl nuclear power station is likely to
be affected by the ``millennium bug'' but officials said Friday there
was still enough time to fix the computer problem.

Chernobyl, site of the world's worst civil nuclear disaster, has aging
Soviet-era reactors. Nuclear experts are worried that computer
problems linked to the year 2000 could cause trouble for such
plants throughout the former Soviet Union.

``We have already started working on this problem and are sure
that Chernobyl will be ready to come into the year 2000,'' Yury
Neretin, Chernobyl's deputy chief engineer, told a news conference.

Earlier this year, local nuclear officials said the bug would not affect
the ex-Soviet state's nuclear plants because of their
unsophisticated computer equipment, but Neretin said this was
incorrect.

``We understand the importance of this problem and have to say
that it will affect our station,'' he said.

The bug stems from the once common practice of using only two
digits for recording the year in computer program dates, like 99 for
1999. That shortcut has the potential, when dates change in 2000,
to confuse computers, causing them to reject data or to crash.

Neretin said the problem could threaten only secondary computer
programs at Chernobyl, not linked directly with the electricity
production or operating a nuclear reactor.

It was 13 years ago this month that Chernobyl exploded, spewing a
cloud of poisonous radioactive dust over Ukraine, Belarus,
Russia and part of Western Europe.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205