Re: dust mask usage

For what it's worth... In a conversation I had with some Russian visitors
about 2 years ago, they claimed a protection factor of 200 for surgeon's
mask!  We were discussing Pu-238 work, so I'm fairly confident they had
some sort of testing data, with 238 your margin's pretty slim.  They wore
the masks all the time in case a release occurred, and were surprised that
we didn't.  They did understand the importance of keeping the material on
the other side of the glovebox, but said that the consequences were high
enough that continuous mask use was indicated.

(Obviously) my own opinion

Brian Rees
Plutonium Facility and LACEF Health Physics Operations
Los Alamos National Laboratory
brees@lanl.gov