RE: dust mask usage

The assignment of any PF for surgical masks is fraught with a number of major
concern if any credit is to be taken for such use or suggested for such use in a
written procedure.
Two issues that come to mind are:
1.  Surgical masks are notorious for efficiency degradation after only 1 hour
usage.
2.  Also, they are not rated as are HEPA type of devises, for the [.1,1] micron
range where there is a considerable inhalation impact of radiological concern.

Aside from the liability issue, they are probably better than nothing!

Something to consider before use where liability may be an issue.
martin_haas@ymp.gov

"Reynolds, Harold" <harold.reynolds@rfets.gov> on 04/26/99 02:45:49 PM

Please respond to radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu