Re: Chernobyl deaths?

Try the following sites for more information.

http://www.nea.fr/html/rp/chernobyl/allchernobyl.html

http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/thisweek/preview/chernobyl/

http://webnuc.nuce.psu.edu/~chernoby/

More recently, beyond the 32 acute deaths from the accident, I have read
that 4-5 children have died from thyroid cancer of the approximately 900
cases.  Unfortunately I cannot place the reference for that.  The large
numbers that you frequently see quoted in the press and other sources are
almost always due to Ukrainian politicians, or can be traced back to them.
For example, a recent article in the LA Times had a number around 250,000
deaths.  I contacted the reporter and he did admit that the source was a
previous article from a year ago that was quoting a Ukrainian minister.

Mikr

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D., P.E.
Environmental Science and Waste Technology Group
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545

mcbaker@lanl.gov

(505) 667-7334 (phone)