RE: Re[2]: Productivity Losses from PPE

Just some further info - I once did a study (trying to establish ALARA
trade-offs when to use and when not to use respirators in high dose
situations - should have published this one) on this issue when consulting
for a utility and found that the literature did not support the idea of
productivity losses using respirators. What most studies concluded was that
training and use of the respirators for the specific task reduced any losses
to minimal levels. i.e. if you had prior training and experience on the task
while wearing a respiratory there was minimal time losses using the
respirator.

There was a study done by Ontario Hydro that showed tactility was more
important. The study concluded that eliminating gloves did more to enhance
productivity (If I remember correctly it was about 25%)  than elimination of
any other form of PPE. I am now trying to go through my old papers (never
let your spousal unit pack your technical stuff for a move) to see if I can
find the paper and when I find it I'll post the title and author.

Pete C.