Re: Medical examination for a radiation worker

Kathy,

Could you send me a copy of the approved animal care protocol?  Also I'm
trying to work out the authorization of your project with VMTH personnel.
They have done those type of projects in the past but they are not
currently approved for them.  I am going to try to meet with them this
afternoon.

Thanks,

Art

At 11:00 AM 4/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>In reply:
>
>    I had a case this year of an undergraduate student who wanted to get a
>dosimeter because they would be helping out with a few low activity sealed
rod
>sources in undergraduate physics labs.  This individual had no prior
training,
>education or information on radiation and its possible effects other than the
>perception that radiation was dangerous and 'someone' told them they needed a
>badge.
>
>    I went to see this individual and ended up conducting a training
session on
>the spot in the hallway of the physics building on their chalkboard.  I
spent 30
>minutes discussing everything from fundamentals to dose limits, as
commesurate
>with the need of the student.  This individual will never exceed the dose
limit
>(if the sources are used properly in the context of the experiments) that
requires
>training.
>
>    Sometimes it happens this way with these sealed sources, other times more
>extensive training is required - such as the case of graduate TAs supervising
>undergraduates in life science labs using unsealed sources of radiation.
These