Re: LINEAR MODEL

"Fritz A. Seiler" wrote:

> In a private e-mail to me, GACarlson@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Perhaps, we are just jousting over semantics, but I teach my students
> that x+ y
> > = 2 does not pass through the origin, but is still linear.
>
> I think this comment and its resolution may be of a more
> general interest, because I hear this argument altogether
> too often. So let us see:
>
> Mathematically,  x + y = 2  is the equation of a straight line.
> So you are teaching your students right, Glenn.  Take note,
> however,  that you are talking about the purely mathematical
> property of an equation.
> The linear model of radiation carcinogenesis, on the other
> hand, is NOT given by any old straight line! It  is given by a
> straight line through the origin. Thus the linear model is given
> by  y - ax = 0.  Then, and only then, will the often cited model
> property be true that twice the dose leads to twice the  risk.
> Thus a straight line is one (mathematical) thing, the linear model
> of radiation carcinogenesis is quite another (radiobiological)
> thing.
>
> Best regards
>
> Fritz

Fritz and all,
I think I see your point. But, why do we always refer to the "Linear
Non-threshold Model" rather than just the "Liner" model.  If what you say is
true, there could be no such thing as a "Linear Threshold" model.  And we
should refer to the LNT model as just the L model.
Regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP            KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates