Re: Informed consent

At 04:21 PM 5/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I must confess confusion re the multiple concerns expressed
>as to why patients may not be adequately informed about
>radiation risks from diagnostic procedures involving x rays
>or radioisotopes....

>Current regs and procedures require that patients be
>informed of risks that have a reasonable chance of
>occurring--but not all infinitesimally small risks.

Dear Professor Gibbs,

 Due the nature of radiation protection of patients in the course of their
medical exposure, it is advisable, to establish a special unit within the
Regulatory Authority to implement radiation protection rules and regulations.
The type of  system adopted in a country will depend on the size, complexity
and safety implications of the regulated practices and sources, as well as
on the regulatory traditions in the country.

No doubt,   special consideration on information should be made  to
children, pregnant women and mothers in lactation, and exposure of
individuals incurred knowingly while voluntarily helping (other than in
their occupation) in the care, support or comfort of patients.

However, in many countries the necessary laws and regulatory framework are
lacking. It is estimated that there are about 40% of the IAEA Member States
having totally insufficient radiation protection and waste management
infrastructures which encompass laws and regulations. What do workers,
public and patient can expect of such situation? -- Not only lack   on risk
information...

Kind regards,

J. J. Rozental
josrozen@netmedia.net.il